Weekly Update City of Darlington
2019 Best In Show winner Carl Edwards with his 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air at the Cruise-In at Joe’s Grill Saturday hosted by the Darlington Cruisers. You can see the Cruisers each month at the Bringing Downtown Alive! Free Concerts. The next event will feature Radio Vibe performing on Pearl Street from 7 to 10 p.m. Thursday, June 27! Free admission and free Pepsi thanks to Pepsi of Florence. New vendor application.
Join In the Wild Vacation Bible School from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. June 17-21 at FWB Bible Church, 316 Orange St.
Annual Community Changers Camp runs daily through June 21. Info: 843-393-1029
A Universe of Stories Summer Reading Program will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesdays through July 23 at Darlington Library, 204 N. Main St. June 11: Space Adventure. Free. Info: 843-398-4940
Joe's Grill will have 50-Cent Wing Night for supper at 306 Russell St. Dine-In only
Tenampa Mexican Restaurant will hold Taco Tuesday for lunch and supper at 40 Public Square. $1 crunchy beef or chicken tacos and various drink specials
Free Exercise Class at 9 a.m. Wednesdays at the Harmon Baldwin Recreation Center, 300 Sanders St. 843-398-4030
Movie Matinee will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesdays through July 23 at Darlington Library, 204 N. Main St. Free. Info: 843-398-4940.
City of Darlington Beautification Board meets at 5 p.m. on the third Wednesday of the month with no meeting in July or December. Dates are June 19, August 21, September 18, October 16, and November 20.
Crab Night every Wednesday night at Darlington Elks Lodge, 836 Timmonsville Highway, Darlington. 843-393-1451
Test-n-Tune / Grudge at Darlington Dragway. Open To Any & All Race Vehicles. Info: (843) 383-0008 or http://www.darlingtondragway.com
Central Baptist Church will have Kids in Action from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays, June 19, June 26, July 10, and July 17, at the church, 512 Spring St., Darlington.
Last day to register for DHS Football Camp - Ages 7 to 14 - 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. June 24 through June 27 - Register by June 20
Last day to register for DHS Soccer Camp - Ages 5 to rising 8th graders - 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. June 24 through June 27 - Register by June 20
Free Exercise Class at 9 a.m. Thursdays at the Harmon Baldwin Recreation Center, 300 Sanders St. 843-398-4030
Wiggles & Giggles Preschool Story Time at 10 a.m. Thursdays at Darlington Library, 204 N. Main St. 843-398-4940 ext. 305
Darlington City Council will hold a Public Hearing and Second Reading of the FY2019-2020 Budget ordinances at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 20, at City Hall, 400 Pearl St.
Fahrenheit 225 will have Trivia Night with prizes and specials at 6:30 p.m. every Thursday at 26 Public Square.
Bingo! at 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at Darlington Elks Lodge, 836 Timmonsville Highway, Darlington. 843-393-1451
Break the Chains of Addiction at the CARES confidential Addiction Support group at 7 p.m. every Thursday at Harmon Baldwin Recreation Center, 300 Sanders St. All are welcome. Free. Info: Mark Parker 843-250-4298 or Kristy Wynn 843-601-3645
Joe's Grill will have Steak Night for supper at 306 Russell St.
Live music at the Purple Fish Coffee Company from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. every Friday night at 110 W. Hampton St.
Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church is having an Alzheimer’s Walk at 8 a.m. Saturday, June 22. Registration starts at 7 o’clock. Info: 843-453-9331 or 843-393-6361
Creekside Apartments has been completely renovated inside and out. The beautiful historic colonial structure resembles the original glory days, elegant appearance from the 1950's is now ready to accept new residents. Each unit is fully equipped with new stainless steel refrigerator, microwave, range and Whirlpool stackable washer and dryer. Come see the improvements during an open house from noon to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 22, at the apartment complex, 710 Cashua Street. The apartments will offer one (1) month FREE rent and $100 gift cards for the first ten (10) new lease completed between June 22 and July 8, 2019. There are some smaller prizes like five (5) $25 gift cards for all that visit during the open house raffle drawing (do not need to be present to win) but must be at least 18 years of age. The drawing will be held on the same day at 2:30 p.m. Refreshments will be provided. For more information, visit https://www.creeksidedarlington.com/ or call the office at (843) 395-2434 to schedule a tour.
Southern Regional Gospel Music Association will hold a concert at 6 p.m. Saturday, June 22, at The Music Hall, 1945 Harry Byrd Hwy.
Operation Arctic Vacation Bible School will be held from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. June 23-27 at First Baptist Church, 216 S. Main St. Register at darlingtonfbc.com.
REACH: DPC College and Careers Ministry. Join Darlington Presbyterian Church each Sunday for a weekly young adult Bible study for college age young adults each from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. each week at The Purple Fish Coffee Company, 110 W. Hampton St., Darlington.
Vacation Bible School will be June 24-26 with a Wednesday night service, skit and dinner at St. Matthews Church, 210 S. Main St.
Darlington County Soil & Water Conservation District Board meets at 7 p.m. the fourth Monday of the month in the Clemson Extension Kitchen at 300 Russell St., Room 207. Open to the public. Info: 843-393-0483
Mark Your Calendars
Nucor Steel will celebrate its 50th Anniversary in South Carolina on Wednesday, June 26.
Radio Vibe will continue the Bringing Downtown Alive! Free Concert Series from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday, June 27, on Pearl Street at Liberty Lane. Includes Classic Car Show thanks to the Darlington Cruisers. Free admission. Vendor spaces available. The series continues of the fourth Thursday of the month through Sept. 26. Info: 843-992-1561
FREE Family Movie Night showing the film “Run The Race” will be held on Sunday, June 30, at Mechanicsville Baptist Church, 2364 Cashua Ferry Road. Meet at 4:45 p.m. for refreshments, and the movie will start at 5 o’clock. All are invited to join us. Info: http://www.mbcdarlington.com
Join Central Baptist Church for a Fourth of July Picnic at 6 p.m. Sunday, June 30, at the church, 512 Spring St., Darlington.
SPC Credit Union will hold Hot Dogs for Heroes on July 3 at each of its branch locations. Plates are free for first responders, military, veterans, police, fire, and EMS and $5 for others.
- The City of Darlington also will offer free swimming lessons June 25 through June 27 (with Friday as a rain date), from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the pool. These lessons are sponsored by the City of Darlington for ages 5 to 18. Info: Lillian Brunson at 843-393-7233.
- SC 4-H Summer Camp at Camp Long in Aiken June 16 at 3pm - June 20 at 1pm $280 for current 4-Hers, $290 for non-members (military discount available) Ages 7-14. Limited space. Deadline May 31. Topics include leadership, science, and healthy lifestyles plus swimming, canoeing, high adventure elements, nature hikes, team sports, shooting sports, games, skits, campfires, dance, and talent show. A limited number of scholarships for first-time campers who meet financial need requirements are available. For more information or to register for camp, contact the Darlington County 4-H office at 843-393-0484 ext. 116.
- SC 4-H Summer Camp at Camp Cooper in Summerton July 21 at 3pm – July 25 at 1pm $290 for current 4-H members, $300 for non-members (military discount available) Ages 7-14. Space limited. Deadline July 5. Topics include agriculture, horses, and natural resources plus swimming, canoeing, high adventure elements, natural resources. A limited number of scholarships for first-time campers who meet financial need requirements are available. For more information or to register for camp, contact the Darlington County 4-H office at 843-393-0484 ext. 116.
ON YOUR MARK, GET SET, GO! Join us for the Darlington Presbyterian Church Vacation Bible School at the Darlington Recreation Department, located at 300 Sanders Street. The Race is On VBS is being held on July 15-18 from 9 a.m. until noon. Children in rising 5K to 5th grade are invited to come and enjoy Bible lessons, snacks, races, games, crafts and more. Register at the DPC church office or online here.
Summer 2019 Activities
The Gandy Pool will be open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., weather permitting, on Wednesdays through Saturdays at 115 Gary St. The pool is open to the public, and the cost is $1 for the day. The pool is available to rent for parties by calling 843-
Summer Meal Program runs June 10 through August 2, Monday through Friday, at Kingdom Seekers Holiness Church, 124 Jordan St., AND at Temple Christian Church, 1660 N. Governor Williams Highway. Breakfast will be at 8:30 a.m. with lunch at noon. Info: 843-634-3214
A.W. “Man” Stanley Gym - 100 Magnolia St. (AWS)
- Mondays - Math, Reading & Writing - 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Tuesdays - Kickball, Soccer, Arts & Crafts - 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesdays - Math, Reading & Writing - 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Thursdays - Educational and Inspirational Speakers - 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Fridays - Movie Day at Harmon Baldwin Recreation Center - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Children will need to turn in a signed permission slip two days prior to ride the bus from A.W. Stanley to go to the rec center.
- Daily - Basketball Free Play - 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. for ages 14 and older
Harmon Baldwin Recreation Center - 300 Sanders St. (HBC)
- Mondays - Organized Free Play - Dodgeball, Volleyball, Arts & Crafts, Board Games - 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays - Basketball Free Play - 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. for ages 13 and younger
- Wednesdays - Organized Free Play - Dodgeball, Volleyball, Arts & Crafts, Board Games - 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Thursdays - Basketball Free Play - 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. for ages 13 and younger
- Fridays - Movie Day - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Snack packs available for purchase ($2)
Miss Darlington USA or Miss Darlington Teen USA
The Miss Darlington USA and Miss Darlington Teen USA pageants will be held for the first time ever on August 17th at Trinity-Byrnes Collegiate School at 7 p.m. The winners will represent the City of Darlington at the 2020 Miss South Carolina USA and Miss South Carolina Teen USA pageants held in North Charleston on November 22-23, 2019. Contestants. Sponsors. Registration.
Become a Member!
Join the DDRA and show your support for our community. Download the Membership Application here. Members can share news about your business or organization by giving us a call, 843-992-1561, or sending us an email, email@example.com, and we will feature yours news on our site and distribute it through our News Alert system via text and email to people interested in Darlington as well as TV stations, radio stations, and newspapers. We can come take a photo or use what you already have. This allows you to share employee recognitions, new products, sales, special hours and events, and more – all as a benefit of being a member of the Darlington Downtown Revitalization Association!
To have your event listed on our websites, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 843-398-4000 x 103 by the week prior to your event.